Hi,

I am having difficulty why should I need to label a disk? I have read enough to understand the concpets of vinum. But in example at glabel man page a label created for just one disk (ad2). Why do I need to label just one disk?

EXAMPLES
The following example shows how to set up a label for disk ``da2'', cre-
ate a file system on it, and mount it:

glabel label -v usr /dev/da2
newfs /dev/label/usr
mount /dev/label/usr /usr
[...]
umount /usr
glabel stop usr
glabel unload

The next example shows how to set up a label for a UFS file system:

tunefs -L data /dev/da4s1a
mount /dev/ufs/data /mnt/data

I think my main issue is with the concept of "disk labelization". Why one does need to create /dev/label/xxx or /dev/ufs/xxx instead of standard /dev/ad2s1a ..

Omer Faruk Sen
http://www.EnderUNIX.ORG
Software Development Team @ Turkey
http://www.Faruk.NET
For Public key: http://www.enderunix.org/ofsen/ofsen.asc

First Turkish FreeBSD book is out! Go check it.
Duydunuz mu! Turkiye'nin ilk FreeBSD kitabi cikti.
http://www.acikkod.com/freebsd.php