Lowell Gilbert wrote:

Matt Navarre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Now, on to the damaged sectors, how to recover the data? dd stops when
it hits bad blocks, so we can't use that to copy the slice. same with
dump(8) as far as I can tell. So. Download dd_rescue from
http://www.garlof.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/

Just out of interest: how is that different than "dd conv=noerror"?

Huh, you learn something new every day. Actually dd_rescue looks closer to dd conv=noerror,sync since it replaces input errors with NULs.

Anyway dd_rescue worked for me, tho I suspect that dd would have worked also, if I'd read the manpage closer. But, hey, Bad Disk + No Backups = Major Freakout Mode.