Ben Washington-Yule wrote:
Hi all.

For no apparent reason when I type 'ppp -ddial xtra' the modem clicks on, starts dialing, disconnects for some reason, clicks off, starts the process again. It does this about 3-4 times before it connects if it even connects at all. I have tried to figure this one out myself, I've scanned the ppp log which made no sense to me (the only error I saw was 'No response from server'). What commands can I use to diagnose this? What does this problem sound like?

Connection:
56kbps dialup, dynamic IPs, XTRA NZ.

I can post my ppp.conf if you think it's needed. Cheers, Ben.

You might need to activate additional logging facilities in your ppp.conf. I usually log Phase and IPCP, you might need LCP and some other entries. Try All facility if you're desperate, but beware, as it produces huge logs (can fill up your /var filesystem in no time). You can select logging facilities by putting lines like 'set log Phase IPCP LCP' in your default: or xtra: section.

Best wishes,
Andrew P.