Nikolas Britton wrote:

Hello,
I have a Compaq Armada 1750 laptop and ACPI is some what broken. If I enable ACPI the fan will never run causing the system to overheat and shutdown, there are a few other problems with ACPI but this is the major one. This is a standard 440BX/MX chipset (82443BX) so I don't understand why this doesn't work yet with FreeBSD, Is this a problem with my DSDT/AML/ASL whatever? The work around in the bug report I submitted ( http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=i386/72566 ) does not work if the system is below the hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx threshold, if it is below this threshold at system boot the fan will NEVER turn on even if hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active=1 is set in loader.conf.

Any help would be appreciated on ether fixing this problem or a way to use ACPI but disable the thermal monitoring so the system can control the fan?

Also... in the bug report there is a link to a Linux kernel patch that fixes this problem.

Also is it not possible to just extract the AML code from that patch an use it to make a FreeBSD patch? I don't know as I'm not a programmer and I'm not sure of GPL issues

Sorry for the third reply to my own post but I thought this might help, it is a copy of my asl code:
http://www.nbritton.org/uploads/compaq/armada_17xx.asl

I updated the bug report as well and I'm going to cross post this in freebsd-acpi mailing list.