RL wrote:
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:31:53 -0600, Kristian Kielhofner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

RL wrote:

Hi. I have FBSD 5.3 on one machine. I'm thinking of buying a Dell
420SC Server and would want to use FreeBSD on that. I went through a
hard time getting things to work on my current machine such as Java
and maybe a few other things, so I really would rather not start from
scratch. And I don't want to swap hard-drives because the Dell comes
with a nice Serial ATA drive I want to use. My only option might be to
clone the old FBSD box using g4Unix and putting it on the Dell. Would
kind of problems and headaches would I have with that?

Edit: Current machine is an Athlon and Dell server is a P4.

I hope you saw that the SC420 is going for under $250 right now! Anyways, you could always try to manually partition the new drive (in the 420) install the bootloader, and then rsync everything over. I have done that many times with FreeBSD and Linux, and as long as you have a kernel that supports the HD controllers on both, you should be fine. A FreeBSD live cd should help, but you don't necessarily need it.

--
Kristian Kielhofner

Yeah that is about what I got it for (actually over $300.)  Now would
ghosting it (with g4u) work?  I'm thinking I might have a lot of
issues because stuff was compiled for an Athlon and I'm moving to a
P4.

Hmm... What did you get in it? Anyways, you could use g4u, but I really think that the rsync method will be faster and more reliable anyways. If your binaries have been compiled for Athlon then you could have some problems on a P4. That is why I compile everything for 686 - I know that it is going to work no matter what recent processor I put it on, and I am not much of a believer in "optimizing".

You could rebuild the system and them portupgrade -aRr (after you modify /etc/make.conf, of course).

--
Kristian Kielhofner