On Dec 28, Ted Mittelstaedt launched this into the bitstream:

Your just not going to be able to do this one as it is, you need to boot into FreeBSD in order to write a FreeBSD boot selector or boot loader on the hard disk.

Borrow another laptop and temporairly move the hard drive from
the first laptop to the second, then load FreeBSD onto it
and move the disk back.

Have you tried looking for a floppy for this laptop on
Ebay?

In theory if you had a copy of Norton Ghost you could ghost
an image of the laptop hard disk running FreeBSD (obviously
you would need another identical working laptop) then
on your laptop you could dialup with a modem and download
a packet driver and try running it under win98 DOS using a
3com 3c89 pcmcia card (which is one of the few pcmcia cards
that will run a packet driver without card services) then
running the ghost client, than pulling the image over the
network.

Incidentally you probably can't get the pcmcia slot to work
because with a laptop that old, it's a 16 bit pcmcia card
slot, and all the pcmcia cards sold today are 32 bit cardbus
ones.  That 3c589 3com pcmcia card is your friend.  It's not
in production anymore but there's tons on Ebay.

Ted

How about this one...a laptop with the CD inoperable and the floppy
missing. The PCMCIA controller may/may_not be fried because no known
PCMCIA network card will work, but owing to the vagaries of Win98 who
knows for sure. All we know presently is that the serial port works.
Disk is OK and it has 40MB of memory. Add to that the fact that for
ridiculously sentimental reasons I am reluctant to part with the darn
thing, so as a last ditch effort I'd sure like to put *some* BSD on it.
The question is....how?

Ted,
Thanks for an enormously helpful response, greatly appreciated.
I think I'll leave the laptop on it's shelf for another few weeks/months and go hunt up a 3C589 PCMCIA card, then try yanking the H/D and proceeding as you outlined above.
Somewhat tangentially I have a suspicion that the PCMCIA controller may
well be cooked because if memory serves, I had one of those cards back when which worked and then abruptly failed. Wondering if the card itself had fried I popped it into a recent laptop and it immediately passed packets...at least that's my recollection. Nonetheless despite that gloomy outlook I'll still give this a shot with another card of the heritage you described.
Thanks for taking the time to explain the why's/how's on this, I have a clearer view of the upcoming task now.

Warm Regards & Thanks,
-Colin