Karl Agee wrote:

Freebsd 4.11-pre. I am working on learning perl, and have perl 5.00x that is in the base system when I installed 4.10-Release. Since most of the learning materials out there are based on later verisions esp since 5.6.x some of the features arent in this older version.

I am considering upgrading to 5.8.5 via ports, but, dont know if that will break anything.

Just being cautious...

--Karl

Hello Karl
Unless it's relatively easy to upgrade perl on 4.x I wouldn't bother with it. most everything in perl 5.6 (and 5.8) work in 5. If you want to learn about perl this resource should be very helpful: http://www.ebb.org/PickingUpPerl/

Remember to buy them!,
   Nikolas

http://www.hn.edu.cn/book/Perl/Perl.html