Michael C. Shultz wrote:

Thanks Mike.
I just put this amd64 system together this week after my old Intel
died. The speed is impressive but I did not think there would be so
many minor jabs getting things up again.

I never install anything that causes gcc to be rebuilt, if something needs that it stays off my machines! Are you running an old FreeBSD version by any chance? If so maybe you would be better off
going to FreeBSD 5-Stable which has a nice up to date gcc as part of the base system.

Here is from the gcc that is part of the base system on my FreeBSD 5.3 machine:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/mike/TEMP/bin#gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Configured with: FreeBSD/i386 system compiler
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.2 [FreeBSD] 20040728
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/mike/TEMP/bin#

-Mike

Actually I am running 5.3 Release. tardis# gcc -v Using built-in specs. Configured with: FreeBSD/amd64 system compiler Thread model: posix gcc version 3.4.2 [FreeBSD] 20040728

It is probably due to the amd64 platform.

Sean