On Jan 3 at 13:44, Timothy Luoma launched this into the bitstream:

On Jan 3, 2005, at 1:19 PM, Eric F Crist wrote:

I'm trying to create a shell script for firewalling. What I'm hoping to do is create a generic script that looks for variables in /etc/rc.conf. I've tried looking at other scripts that use variables placed there, but don't understand how to pull the information from the file.

Ah, now I may be a FreeBSD newbie, but I've been doing shell scripts for a long time.

Take note, he is *really* not exaggerating!!

What specifically are you trying to pull out of /etc/rc.conf?

ps - that said, why aren't you setting firewall configuration once and leaving it alone?

Yeah, I wondered about that too, unless there's something particular to that local configuration it sort of seems like reinventing the wheel.

BTW, welcome to FreeBSD Tim! You have been assimilated etc. :-)