OK - I did find the answer ...

After plugging-in the firewire device, /dev/da0
changes to /dev/da1 while botting and /dev/da1
(aka firewire) changes to /dev/da0.

How can it be accomplished that /dev/da0
(my non-removable SCSI disk) remains /dev/da0,
no matter how many removable drives are added
to the system?

I already did set the ATA_STATIC_ID option in
my kernel configuration file.

I am running FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE.

Regards

Daniel S. Haischt

Daniel S. Haischt schrieb:
Hello,

I have a problem after adding a firewire hard
disk to my system. I did format and label the
drive and the drive works without any problem.

After a reboot I am getting the following message
after the firewire was detected:

ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp

The firewire disk is /dev/da1 and my root (/)
partition is /dev/da0s1a. After getting the above
error message I am getting a boot prompt which
allows me to manually specify an appropriate
device. If typing ? to get a list of available
devices, /dev/da0s1a is missing.

I guess the solution to is problem is pretty
trivial, but at the time I am to blind to see
the solution.

Any hints on how to solve this issue would be
appreciated.