--On Thursday, January 06, 2005 06:57:15 AM -0500 Gerard Seibert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Therefore, if I have several email addresses that are through different ISP's, don't I have to configure POSTFIX fir each of them?

No. You're confusing *reading* mail with *sending* mail. All Postfix does is send and receive mail. It has nothing to do with how you read your mail and there's nothing to configure with regard to how your ISP handles mail.

What you do is configure Postfix so that it can send mail for you (and receive if that's possible, but you'd need a domain name for that.) Then you configure your email client (MUA) (Evolution, mutt, pine, mulberry, whatever) to get mail for each account by entering in to the POP or IMAP *incoming* server the name of the server that you fetch that mail from. When you configure the SMTP *outgoing* server, you configure it to go to Postfix (whatever you named it) and *it* will send the mail to whereever you told it to.

If your ISP restricts port 25 so that you can't send mail directly, then configure Postfix to send all mail to your ISP's mail server.

If you can provide *specific* information about each account (incoming and outgoing servers, *not* your username and password) and your ISP's server names as well as their policy about sending mail directly from your machine, then we can probably give you specific advise regarding the settings you need to have in Postfix.

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member