Duane Winner wrote:

Sigh......it's always OpenOffice that gives me headaches.

I tried to just do a pkg_add -rv openoffice and that got me openoffice-1.1.2, which I guess I could live with until it gets fixed, but then I discovered during 'openoffice-1.1.2-setup' that characters were overlapping in all of the dialogs and menus. I don't know if that was a problem with my display or the character set/language, but I just ripped out the package in frustration.

there's more info here : http://porting.openoffice.org/freebsd/ build-instructions, known problems and alternative downloads

one other thing to try is running OOo through linux-emulation