william gatlin wrote:
I have spent at least two weeks of my free time downloading 5.3 and trying to get it to work. After figuring out how to get an ISO image, windows couldn't do it because netscape insisted on modifying the file, I loaded it and got a lot of error code 1 messages that I never did figure out. I changed the partitioning and allowed 1/2 a gig for the root directory and loaded it again. All seemed to go well untill I tryed to configure the X.org windowing system. Nothing in /stand/sysinstall would do any configuration of X. Went to the net and got instructions. Finally got X to work and found vidtune. Kdm comes up with a log in screen which just leads to another log in screen. ctrl-alt-backspace won't turn x off as it keeps comming back on it's own. Nothing leads to a window manager other than the little one that comes with X.

I sounds like you have started X by setting xdm on in /etc/ttys, I would recommend you not to do that first time you start up X but rather use startx. To get the console, press crtl-alt-F1, X is normally on F9.

To understand a bit about how X works: When X starts your session, it will look for the file .xinitrc in your home directory and execute the programs listed, if you have no .xinitrc the default system file is used: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc

Usually only your windows manager is listed. Once the last program in .xinitrc exists, X terminates your session. If you started X by setting xdm on in /etc/ttys, X gives you a new login promt, otherwise you will return to the console.

So, it may not be X, but your window manager that is screwed, maybe you have a core-dump file in your home directory - that would indicate it.

If you use startx instead and X crashes for whatever reason, you should have some error output on the console you can post here on the list.

To see if it's your window manager, try a different one, I like fluxbox because it's lightweight. gnome/kde are quite heavy.

Just try this before you give up on FreeBSD.

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                                  web: www.locolomo.org
S/MIME Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/2004071206.crt