Louis LeBlanc wrote:
Yes, I recompiled with just WITH_ACPI, and now it's 1 as default.  I
even cvsupped world and rebuilt, and now nvidia.ko doesn't try the
agp0 stuff. I guess that's progress, but AGP still doesn't work.

Progress is very often nothing more than a change in error conditions
:)

Ok, how about the hw.nvidia sysctls and the logs?  Any warnings (WW)
or errors (EE) in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?  There will probably be a
couple warnings related to modes, but those are probably not directly
related.

A couple of warnings about modes and fonts, no errors. I used -verbose 5 -logverbose 5.

Every time you make a change, check the hw.nvidia.agp.status sysctls.
Mine are as follows:
hw.nvidia.agp.status.status: enabled
hw.nvidia.agp.status.driver: nvidia
hw.nvidia.agp.status.rate: 8x
hw.nvidia.agp.status.fw: disabled
hw.nvidia.agp.status.sba: enabled

Those sysctls don't even exist.

You might have a couple differences, particularly the fw and sba
values, but you want the rate to be 8x or at least 4x, and status
enabled.  As you track down warnings and errors in the Xorg.0.log
file, you will probably be able to guess what kind of changes are
needed in xorg.conf.  Check the README.Linux file in the NVidia driver
directory mentioned before for any tokens mentioned in those warning
or error log entries.  You will probably have to try different
settings to eliminate the warnings or errors, but it's just a config
change and X restart (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace).  Compile/reinstall stuff is
probably not needed at this point.