Sergei Gnezdov wrote:

Hi,

The computer of my friend has the following specs:

Motherboard: Asus A7V8x-x, chipset VIA-KT400, with onboard sound, LAN, ATA133, USB

Doubt that's much of an issue. And, in regard to your assertation about sound, I've never had much trouble with sound and FreeBSD, regardless of the card or onboard chipset, except for a few cards that weren't listed as supported on the web site. YMMV.

Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce4 MX440SE with TV-out

I've used Nvidia (nv driver) with X, but not tried TV-out as my cards don't have it. Not sure about this issue.

Modem: acorp-56K

Old rule was "software modems don't work in FBSD."

An exception might be if it uses the Lucent LT chip, a
port exists (/usr/ports/comms/ltmdm) that is supposed
to allow use of these modems.

Printer: OKI okipage 6w

Check linuxprinting.org, for one site. Perhaps also the documentation for apsfilter (apsfilter.org), which seems to me to be a good solutions for lots of printing issues....

Scanner: mustec1200CP

Possibly an issue. You'd need to decide what software you intend to use, and check the site for that, I think.

SANE is the software of choice, I gather (could be wrong).
Last I recall looking at their site, there *might* have been
support for Mustek, but I wasn't too hopeful for the scanners
I have "in the pile."  I can't remember, but I think one was a
Mustek.  YMMV.

So, what is supported and what is not supported by FreeBSD in his case?

Thank you

As mentioned, there is a hardware compatibility list on the Project's site. I would also suggest reading through the handbook, looking for pages at Google (how-tos, etc), and scanning the archives of the various mailing lists.

Good luck!

Kevin Kinsey