On Jan 14, 2005, at 11:31 PM, Timothy Luoma wrote:

Maybe I'm Googling the wrong terms, but I'm trying to find a way to make 'make' less chatty during 'make install clean' (at least the 'make' part, I'd like to see the install stuff if possible... if not, I'd rather not.)

There seem to be a lot of merely information stuff that comes by. I didn't see anything in make.conf that might be a quiet/verbose switch.

So far I've just been doing this:

        (make install clean  2>&1) > install.log

The only problem is that it won't work with 'sudo' (can't use ">" with sudo) so I have to login as root.

TjL

Have you tried:

% sudo "make install clean > install.log"
                        -or-
% sudo "make install clean > /dev/null"

HTH
Eric F Crist                  "I am so smart, S.M.R.T!"
Secure Computing Networks              -Homer J Simpson