Hi,

I've installed and configured FreeBSD, and am now trying to read and write to my drives and printers.

Upon booting, the OS detects the floppy drive (fd0), hard drive (ad0), CDROM (acd0) and printer (lpt0), as it should. fstab only has the hard drive (on which BSD is installed) and the CDROM

The specific questions are:

1. Do I need to find and install specific drivers for each of these devices, even though they were detected?

2.  Once #1 is resolved, can I access these as default devices, and how?

I've used UNIX for many years, but this is my first full try with BSD on a desktop. I've looked through all of the web documentation, FAQ's and also perused the newsgroup archive. I'm just getting into the printing section of the handbook, but could not find specific information on the drives.

Here is the relevant information about my platform:

FreeBSD 4.10 i386 [ELF] Intel Pentium II 266 MHZ/256MB RAM Panasonic DVD II DVD-ROM Drive Panasonic 1.44-MB Floppy Disk Drive Western Digital 40-GB Hard Drive