On 01/20/05 15:37:07, Bob Perry wrote:
Just joined an ISP that has agreed to provide residential DSL service.

Their service is normally limited to commercial operations but they
made the offer based on the fact that my OS was FreeBSD.

At this stage we have determined that only one of three phone jacks
in my apartment is able to sync-up with the DSL.  The options, thus
far,
are to fix the inside phone wiring or install a wireless router.

I know little about wireless routers but have started some research
and will
continue.  However, thought I would also touch base with the mailing
list
to see what information/experience members are willing to pass along.

Would appreciate it you would direct me to relevant resource material for further review. If you have the time, please respond with your thoughts re hardware/software, installation, stability, and security issues as they relate to wireless routers and FreeBSD.

I also just purchased the 5.3 CD set and will replace my 4.9 box with
it.

Thanks,

Bob Perry

I and my friends have used linksys. I used to love them, but they are not good for heavy duty traffic. My friend hosts his own website and runs a teamspeak server with some other small stuff. He has gone through 3 or 4 routers over maybe 2-3 years, or less. I don't know how other brands standup hardware wise, but I think you get what you pay for. For around $60 a router, thats cheap.

When I have them I put a custum linksys/linux firmware on them and it becomes an almost full featured linux box. Iirc, you can only do this with linksys. Check http://sveasoft.com/ for more details on modifing your router.