Jorn Argelo wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:38:54 +0100, Ramiro Aceves wrote

Hello friends.

I am a FreeBSD newbie, I am going to ask you a question that I have not
been able to solve reading the manual. I am using 5.3 release. I have
compiled a custom kernel in my old pentium 75 MHz machine to include the driver for my sound card. I added the following lines to the kernel
config file

device sound
device "snd_es137x"

and compiled the kernel perfectly. (long time.... ;-)  )

But there is something that I do not understand well. When I look at the contents of /boot/kernel/ directory, I found that there are kernel sound modules *.ko for every sound card the kernel supports. Should not there be my sound card module alone? Does It mean that you have to compile all the stuff, even if you are going to use only one kind of sound card? Am I missing something?

Your sound card has been build into the kernel itself (which is /boot/kernel/
kernel AFAIK). The *.ko are kernel modules, which you can load using the kldload command. So in case you get a new sound card, find out what driver it supports and you can use kldload <yourdriver>.ko to get support for your sound card without recompiling your kernel.

Yes, I understand now. The problem is that my old pentium machine takes very long time to compile all the modules even if I am not going to use them. I would like to compile only the modules I use, to reduce compiling time. Is that possible?

Thanks

Cheers,

Jorn