Jerry McAllister wrote:

This 'rest of the disk' should be divided up into chunks that can
be dump(8)ed to one backup media if possible. Otherwise you will
get sloppy and not do backups because it is harder. Since there is a

What kind of nonsense is this? I've never heard about such an advise, and it doesn't make sense to me. Surely dumping a filesystem to multiple tapes isn't more, most likely less, effort than dumping n filesystems to one tape each. The only case this doesn't hold is when you're using amanda, but that's hardly a home setup, and comes with a special backup discipline anyways. Actually, I doubt that many people use tape backup at home, considering how outrageously expensive the stuff is, and the inexpensiveness of usb disks these days, which are a lot easier to handle than tapes.

mkb.