[Tue Feb 1 11:58:29 2005] [error] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function: preg_match() in /usr/local/www/phpMyAdmin/libraries/defines.lib.php on line 36

I have re-installed the above mentioned ports and everything is up and running however from phpmyadmin I am getting the above mentioned error when trying to use phpmyadmin from a webpage.

I have seen the various supposed fixes and have tried a few. I do not get the =20 after the error and have tried ripping out everything. installing php4-pear then apache13-modssl, mysql323-server / client and myphpadmin yet i still get this!

can someone please give me the definitive fix for this? is there one?

sorry to sound frustrated, loosing a day tracking this down is no fun

ken;