Chuck Swiger wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi FreeBSD. When googling my name, your list comes up 13 times because of a
thread from 2003. Could you kindly remove and delete this thread from your
archives? I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,

Regrettably, there is no reliable or convenient way to remove old postings from a public mailing list. Part of the issue is that you're asking to remove not just your postings, but postings made by other people in response to the questions you asked in that thread.

Even if the FreeBSD postmaster (acting as list manager) did so and rebuilt the Mailman thread archives manually, Google and other sites which cache Usenet and public list traffic to their archives generally retain information about old postings anyway.

Google does offer a way to remove posts that you have made from its index:

http://www.google.co.uk/googlegroups/help.html#9

IANAL but I think it would be interesting to know what the legal implications are here. Could it be a legal requirement that you can request that your data is removed?

Chris