To: "Grant Peel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2005 7:18 AM
Subject: Re: Broken Comiler

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 06:59:40AM -0500, Grant Peel wrote:
Hi all,

A few weeks back, on of my raid drives cacked.

Since then, I have not been able to comple anything. I get messages like:

(example while trying to .configure php4.3.10).
checking host system type... i386-unknown-freebsd4.4
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.

I tried to rebuild the compiler from ports, but it would no make
either...keeps telling me to set cc to a working compiler...

Is there any way to fix this short of rebuilding the whole os? A bianary
compiler perhaps?

I'm assuming that you can run gcc by hand just fine.

There is a file created by configure called config.log showing
information about what it's doing and any error messages it received.
If you could look through that or post relavent portions, that might
help track down the problem.

-Grant

-- I sense much NT in you. NT leads to Bluescreen. Bluescreen leads to downtime. Downtime leads to suffering. NT is the path to the darkside. Powerful Unix is.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C