On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 12:24:09AM -0500, Jim Arnold wrote:
 I updated my firewall that is using IPF. I went from FreeBSD 4.7
 stable to 4.11 stable. When using 4.7 stable I only had this is my
 rc.conf file:

 ipfilter_enable="YES"
 ipfilter_program="/sbin/ipf"
 ipfilter_rules="/etc/ipf.conf"
 ipfilter_flags=""

 When I went to 4.11 stable I had to uncomment these options in my
 kernel config file:

 options         IPFILTER
 options         IPFILTER_LOG

 I'm just curious why it worked without the above options in my kernel
 for 4.7 and I had to have them in 4.11?

If you don't have it in your kernel, the module will be loaded at boot time if it's available. If you don't have the module either, you can't use ipfilter.

I must have been using the module with 4.7 stable since I did not have that in the kernel I was running with 4.7. After I upgraded to 4.11 and IPF was not working I edited my kernel config file to uncomment the lines for IPF and then compiled the new kernel. I still don't have an answer why this happened.

Was the module taken out of 4.11 or an earlier version on FreeBSD? I'm just curious as a learning experience what went on in my situation.

Thanks,
Jim