John wrote:

I have used dump(8) to dump out my filesystems.  I am wondering
if I can just use "dd" to dump out all of /dev/ad0s1 also,
and then use "dd" to put it back again when I'm done.  Then
I'd boot the installation CD into "fixit" mode, build a new
MBR, make sure that the new s1 was the same or very slightly larger
than the old s1, and use dd to put it back again.  Can anyone
speak to either the "doomed to failure" or "I've done this and
it works" scenarios?

Thanks.
..... will the hard drive change? I do remember trying this on XP with a second hard drive ie ghost the whole lot across to the second drive and then swap the new larger drive into boot place. It seems XP knows the hardware and was looking for the original HD when we attempted to boot off the new one.

Ther was a complicated fix involving remote registry editing etc etc, but I've forgotten the details.
--
Robin Becker