Jay wrote:
On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 04:56:01PM -0500, Louis LeBlanc wrote:

On 02/09/05 04:07 PM, Chris Shenton sat at the `puter and typed:

Louis LeBlanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Hmm. Plone didn't exactly rise to the top at opensourcecms.org, but since you saw fit to plug it, I'll give it a chance.

Plone is very, very nice.

I'm not familiar with Zope at all. Isn't it an Apache *alternative*?

Yes and no. Zope serves up all of its content. It's quite common to
run Apache in front of it, though -- that way you can use all of your
Apache modules.

Since a Zope site is totally dynamic, it usually makes sense to run some
kind of caching server in front of it.  Some people use Apache because
that's what they're familiar with/have installed/etc, etc.  If you're
not going to use any of Apache's features, squid is generally better for
that.

If you're interested, send me an email off-list, and I'll make you an
account on my Plone site so you can dink around and see what it's like.

I am in the process of looking at zope for a base to a couple of websites I will be creating. One of the sites will be providing services to around 500+ users. Being quite unfamiliar of the development side of zope (I have used plone as a user but that is about it) I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what is the best way to go about hosting something like that. Is virtual/co-/dedicated hosting the way to go? Is one server enough? I have looked into a package called zeo as well that provides a horizontally scalable solution for zope so I am hoping to be able to add servers as required should the load increase.

Any help would be much appreciated. :)
Chris