Anthony Atkielski wrote:

Ted Mittelstaedt writes:

The only real issue I see to FreeBSD's survival that requires
corporate attention is device drivers for new hardware. And this is an
issue that harms all operating systems even Windows. There are just as
many older versions of Windows being made unrunnable by new hardware
that lacks drivers for it, as BSD versions.

Don't hardware manufacturers publish specs detailed enough to allow
third parties to write drivers?

In a perfect world, Yes. In reality. No. A lot of hardware manufactures feel that they only need to support the 75% of the world that runs a proprietary OS. (this 75% figure was pulled out of my ass, it doesnt mean anything, just a representation) There is a general lack of support for the "Free" world from corporations developing hardware, this is one of the major downfalls in using Free software. (should say a Free OS, and not software in general) This is partially due to marketing and promotion of the OS in question. Take a look at a few major linux distributions for example. Lets say Fedora and SuSE. They have far superior hardware support than say slackware, or even FreeBSD for that matter. Why? Because they have major corporations backing them. With funding, promotion, etc... What does FreeBSD have? I dont have an answer for this yet. I'm not trying to start a flamewar, so dont take it that way. Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
   Frank Laszlo