Okay, so, no response initially, hopefully you guys won't mind some quicker and more specific followups, then.

I just reinstalled again, followed only the steps I documented below (minus the vim & portupgrade installs), and had identical results. This time, however, I tried changing the tag in my cvs-supfile from RELENG_5_3 to RELENG_5 and was able to successfully rebuild the source tree, but I know I tried that to no avail when I first encountered this problem a few months ago, and I'm not sure why it worked now (to be sure I then rolled it back to RELENG_5_3, saw the same problem, and successfully switched back to RELENG_5 again). But, ideally, I'd like to keep my production servers on RELENG_5_3 so that the only regular changes should be security patches (of course, these are exactly the kinds of surprises I was hoping to avoid by sticking with RELENG_5_3).

        So, my questions:

1) Was this not the best place to post a question like this? If not, I apologize, but where would have been more appropriate?

2) Was I not following the instructions/documentation properly for upgrading my system after install? (I got most of it initially from a series of Dru Lavigne articles on Oreilly, but followed up by reading the relevant portions of the handbook as well.)

3) If it does appear I was doing things properly, should I report this somewhere as a possible problem? I have been able to repeatedly reproduce this on multiple computers (though identical in hardware) across the span of at least 3 months (updating the source tree minutes before trying, each time), many of which were completely fresh installs.

4) Is there some way I could make the buildworld/installworld just skip at least the devX100 font if not all of groff in order to avoid this problem? Obviously that approach could be a problem for many other programs, but groff doesn't seem worth worrying over if it's preventing me from keeping my system patched. Or, if that's not a good idea, what might be a better work around?

Thanks again!

Tom

Tom Trelvik wrote:

So I ran into this problem a few months ago when I first started setting up a couple new servers. At the time I found one person online who'd had a very similar sounding problem some time before that, and he said it had gone away on its own for him, and that he suspected it was something corrupt in the source tree. I moved /usr/src out of the way and tried to cvsup a fresh source tree, and things started working.

But now, it looks like I had just gotten lucky somehow. I've reinstalled one of those systems and the same issue cropped back up again, and I'm at a loss as to what to do about it this time.

Pretty much all I did was install the "User" distribution set from 5.3-RELEASE-amd64-miniinst.iso and then installed bash2, sudo, screen, vim (NO_GUI=yes), portupgrade, & cvsup-without-gui from ports (not that I expect those to matter, I'm just trying to be thorough since I did so little that I can think of that might affect this).

    I then created the following cvs-supfile:

$ cat /root/cvs-supfile
*default host=cvsup12.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5_3
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all
ports-all tag=.

    and ran the following commands:

# cd /usr/src && \
    cvsup -g -L 2 /root/cvs-supfile && \
    make buildworld && \
    make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC && \
    make installkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC && \
    make installworld

    and the "make installworld" ends with this segfault:

===> gnu/usr.bin/groff/doc
install-info --quiet --defsection=Miscellaneous --defentry= groff.info /usr/s
hare/info/dir
install -o root -g wheel -m 444 groff.info.gz /usr/share/info
===> gnu/usr.bin/groff/font
===> gnu/usr.bin/groff/font/devX100
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
*** Error code 139

I tried moving /usr/src out of the way again, and cvsup'ing a fresh source tree again, but to no avail, and I'm once again at a loss, and not really sure how to diagnose what's causing this.

I don't suppose anyone has any suggestions or pointers? Thanks a ton, I really appreciate it!

Tom