On Feb 12, 2005, at 8:16 PM, Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Roger 'Rocky'
Vetterberg
Sent: Saturday, February 12, 2005 9:26 AM
To: Chris Zumbrunn
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Instead of freebsd.com, why not...

However, everytime I've tried to suggest even the slightest change to freebsd.org, people has started to kick and scream and preach about the end of the OS as we know it.
I have never kicked and screamed about changes to the website layout
or such, as long as we don't get rid of the recognizable logos on it.

As far as Im concerned, there are no logos on the website. There is a mascot, but no logo. This, it seems, is a matter of opinion.

What I and others have always said when someone like you comes along
is that you should go for it.  Put up a prototype website, it's a
free country.  Let us look at it.  If it's better then the doc people
will welcome your efforts on it.

'Better' would be a matter of opinion. It would also depend on how you define a good website. For technical people looking for documentation, the current website is very good. For marketing purposes, it sucks.
Eventough it is possible to combine the two, I advocate the separated .org/.com solution, simply because the target audiences have very different needs. You, clearly belonging in the technical category, refuses to complement Beastie with a more proffesional logo, something I think is necessary to satisfy the second category. Hence, a separate site for marketing people seems to be a necessity.

Don't you think this Beastie qualifies as a professional logo?

http://top.ch/sitedata/freebsd/beastie.gif

[EMAIL PROTECTED] +41 329 41 41 41 Chris Zumbrunn Ventures - http://www.czv.com/ Internet Application Technology - Reduced to the Maximum