On Feb 13, 2005, at 12:57 AM, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC writes:

Maybe companies who support MS or other proprietary software
can't as they don't have the source.  But support companies that
support open source can very easily fix problems -- they have the
source and the license to use it

Unfortunately, their fix makes the software non-standard. You need to be able to roll fixes into the official release.

????? What the heck does this mean? I would bet that most larger installations of Linux or FreeBSD or any other open source OS would be considered non-standard. Heck, I bet YOUR installation of FreeBSD could be considered non-standard. Your statement make absolutely no sense.

If the fix that you decry is a reasonable fix, who says it can't be rolled back into an "official" release. This is open source after all.

Chad

-- Anthony