Hi,

When I try to install FreeBSD, my brand new HP Pavilion laptop turns itself off. It does not matter if I use 4.x or 5.x, CD or floppies. There is no error log since it just shuts off after I choose to load a kernel. I have tried loading with ACPI off, and it does not help. I believe I tried all the kernel options available from the menu on 5.x.

The computer is a HP Pavilion zv5445us, with 512MB RAM, P4-3Ghz, 100GB HD, 15.4" Hi-Def Screen, 54G 802.11b WLAN. I purchased it from Best Buy.

Under Windows, it appears Hyper-Threading is turned on, and I have not found a way to turn it off inside the CMOS.

The machine runs Windows XP Pro fine, but I am trying to switch to FreeBSD on all my boxen. I was really surprised to find this one abruptly shutdown when trying to do the install. It turns off before the install really starts, so I do not have much information to solve this problem. The HD is never touched.

Any suggestions?

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.7 - Release Date: 2/10/2005