On 02/20/05 07:05 PM, James Stallings II sat at the `puter and typed:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm a recent covert to FreeBSD from many years of using linux on both
> the server and the desktop. I'm currently using FreeBSD 5.3 on the
> server and a new variant of FreeBSD called OS/X on the desktop :D

Yup.  I'd sure like to get hold of that desktop to play with without
having to buy yet another computer :)  Of course, I'll probably get
one anyway one of these days.

> My question involves my server; what is the best strategy to a working
> IMAP server? I have my own domain, and have operated IMAP under linux
> for years without issue, but I can't seem to get it crankin' under
> FreeBSD.

Shouldn't be much difference - except that it might actually be
easier.  I came from Linux (way back in the RH6.0 days) running Cyrus
Imapd to FreeBSD running the same.  I recently moved over to Courier
Imapd, which I think I like better.  Cyrus required a lot of up front
work and detailed tweaking, but Courier was surprisingly easy.  The
distribution config was pretty self explanatory with good descriptions
of what was needed, and the only thing I needed to do by hand is make
sure all the maildirs were created - which courier provides a utility
for.

> I'm quite certain this has more to do with my relative inexperience
> with FreeBSD than with FreeBSD itself.

I've always found that it's far easier to get software working when I
use the ports.  Nowadays, I never - and I mean NEVER - install
software any other way if there is a port I can use.  When I want a
package to solve a particular problem, the ports are the first second,
and last place I search.

> Whats the shortest path to a working configuration? I'm not particular
> about whose software I use; I just need to be able to hit it for mail
> via IMAP with Thunderbird or Mozilla.

You might want to check your disk layout before deciding.  Cyrus will
store all mail in a single location, typically somewhere in /var,
while Courier puts it right in maildir folders in the home directory -
although you can tweak this if you don't want to create shell accounts
for every mail account.  Personally, I like Courier better.  I know
where my mail is, and I have a lot more flexibility in my filtration
and delivery.

Read the other responses coming.  There are other IMAP capable servers
in the ports, and most of them will get a nod from the list folk.

> Thanks in advance!

You bet.

Good luck
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

Kime's Law for the Reward of Meekness:
  Turning the other cheek merely ensures two bruised cheeks.