Jim Freeze wrote:
[ ... ]
For this example, yes. That was the exit to leave the remote host. I did this just to show that I had successfully logged in. If I had waited a few minutes, then I would not have been able to show that because the terminal would have locked up.

Show us what SSH shows when the connection locks up. In particular, try doing a "<RETURN>~?" after you get the connection lockup and see whether you get a menu of escape sequences back.

--
-Chuck