To: "Gerard Meijer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 8:09 PM
Subject: Re: get local sendmail to use MX records

Gerard Meijer wrote:
Hi Greg,

I'm absolutely sure that this is not the case anymore. I removed everything.
If I followed you correctly, "server B" *formerly* was the appropriate end point for mail for "domain.com". If that is true, then on server B, the sendmail config probably indicates that mail destined for domain.com is delivered locally. Remove that indicator and it should revert to MX lookup behavior to find the appropriate handler for the domain. There may be multiple places in the sendmail config where domain.com is named for different purposes. Hunt them all down and kill them.

Nevertheless... the grep suggested by another poster seems completely appropriate. There are few other explanations than "sendmail config error". You restarted sendmail after the config change, right?

Another test you could try would be to fire up nslookup on server B's command line. If you ask there for the MX record in question, do you actually get the right answer?

-- Greg Barniskis, Computer Systems Integrator South Central Library System (SCLS) Library Interchange Network (LINK) <gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348

A: Because it reverses the natural flow of a dialog.
Q: Why is top posting undesirable when replying?