John writes:

> I suppose I'm nit-picking here, but you would cron it rather than running it
> by hand.

It's mostly the space that I prefer not to part with.

> How much space have you got to play with?

About 2 GB total remaining on /usr.  Just installing X stuff gobbled up
a few hundred megabytes, it seems.

> If space is tight, running make
> distclean after make install helps, as does periodically deleting the contents
> of /usr/ports/distfiles

Does pkg_add do this?

> [0] if you mean, by "pull the index from an ftp site" cd /usr/ports && make

I meant running /stand/sysinstall and selecting an FTP site as the
"installation media" for the software.  It always downloads some sort of
index when I do that, which I assume is an up-to-date list of all the
ports available.

--
Anthony