On Mar 1, 2005, at 11:21 AM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

Mark Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I've just put my server on a new connection that requires DHCP, even
for a fixed IP.  Anyway, the DHCP server gives a fixed public internet
IP to my server, but it communicates on 192.168.1.254, which angers
FreeBSD (4.11).  I get a lot of the following:

arplookup 192.168.1.254 failed: host is not on local network

Which makes sense, because as far as FreeBSD is concerned, interface
ep1 is on the internet not on a LAN.

Exactly.

Looking on the net, I found the following suggestion, which does cure
the errors:

/sbin/route add -net 192.168.1.254 -netmask 255.255.255.0 -interface 1

My question is, is that the proper way to deal with this?

It's not bad. I would use -host instead of -net and -netmask, and it will fail if the DHCP server ever changes its address, but what you are doing is is working and fairly likely to stay that way.

How would you phrase the command? I just tried -host and couldn't get it to work.

                                                           I have to
issue this statement whenever the dhclient is restarted.  I've
currently placed it in my firewall script, but is there a proper or
more elegant way to achieve this?

If you want something more elegant, you could specify a script for one of the dhclient-script(8) hooks, and put the route in there. You would be able to refer to the interface and server address by variables which dhclient-script provides...

Great! I put the command in /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks and it works great on a reboot. I don't really see which variables I can use in the dhclient-script man page though. Do you know which variables would do this?

Thanks!

--
Mark Edwards
[EMAIL PROTECTED]