Kris Kennaway wrote:

Well, I was looking for 'autoconf' in these files but didn't find it.
And indeed, even though I have 'autoconf-2.59_2' installed, all I have
is 'autoconf259', but not 'autoconf'.

This is necessary because the autoconf developers don't understand why
backwards compatibility is important for their tools (new versions
like 2.59 cannot be used to build old applications that were written
for e.g. 2.13, nor can multiple versions of autoconf be easily
installed concurrently).

I'm aware of these (very unfortunate) incompatibilities, though I had expected the problem to be dealt with differently (for example by setting a symbolic link to the currently active version).

You can use the gnu-autoconf and related ports, which installs into
/usr/local/gnu-autotools so they do not poison the build environment
of other ports.  YOu might have to play games with PATH or other
variables to get your application to find them.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

Regards,
                Stefan