Kent Stewart wrote:

On Saturday 05 March 2005 12:40 am, Brian John wrote:

Hello.
I just added a couple of config attributes to my make.conf, namely
this (I think this is close):
CPU-TYPE = athlon-xp
CFLAGS = -0 -pipe
COPTFLAGS = -0 -pipe

Then I did a "make buildkernel" and "make installkernel". I then
rebooted into single user mode and did a "make buildworld". Then I
restarted and now I have no internet. I can't get any pages to come
up in firefox or dillo. I tried pinging www.yahoo.com and I got 69%
packet loss. Also, when I try to do "portupgrade -ap" to reinstall
all of my ports, it can't connect to download the distfiles. What
can I do to fix this?

Do it in the right order. You want a new kernel build to use the code produced by the buildworld. Now, you have a user land from one buildworld and a kernel from the previous one. Processes such a top may not even work in your environment.

Yeah, I went back and did it exactly as it said in the handbook, now I have 100% packet loss. Any clue what would cause this?

Thanks for the help

/Brian

You boot to single user mode to test the new kernel and stop all of the competing processes. Then, you do the installworld and run mergemaster to update the configuration files.

Kent

Thanks

/Brian