David Larkin wrote:

I have a FreeBSD 5.3 machine and a Windoze XP box.

I am the only user of both.

I don't want to share files or act as a full time fileserver.

I simply wish to exchange files ocassionally, e.g. copy FreeBSD backup files to the XP box to burn on CD.

I used to use anon ftp for this type of thing but found the security a nightmare. I've now installed Samba on the FreeBSD box,
but I'm not sure this is a good idea.

Nothing wrong with it that you've described so far. For example, I've not yet read whether you trust the wire or not....

Can I set up a 'sandbox' directory on my FreeBSD machine where
both machines can read and write ?

After installing samba and setting the workgroup in smb.conf, i can now see the FREEBSD box in 'view workgroup computers' but clicking on that I am asked for a username/password , which i'm reluctant to give.

Any advice ?

How about using the "SharedDocs" folder on the XP box?

From FBSD, as root:

# mount_smbfs -N //XPbox/SharedDocs /mnt

I have cron do this at every reboot.  If I need to put
anything on my XP Box, it's as simple as using tar,
cp, whatever.

Won't help in the "vice versa" case, of course...

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey