On Mar 10, 2005, at 2:46 PM, Dan Nelson wrote:

In the last episode (Mar 09), Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC said:
The following is aon 5.3-RELEASE-p5

If I do a limits command I get

# limits
Resource limits (current):
  datasize           524288 kb
  stacksize           65536 kb
#

However, login.conf has (and no other classes defined)

default:\
        :datasize=unlimited:\
        :stacksize=unlimited:\

I am wondering where the datasize and stacksize get set.  These have
limits when listed with "limits" but they do not appear to be getting
set through login as the login.conf has unlimitged.

I believe those are extra-hard limits enforced by the kernel. You can raise them by adding this to /boot/loader.conf:

kern.maxdsiz=2147483648
kern.maxssiz=2147483648

Should I be able to do a sysctl to look at their current values? On my 5.3 and my 4.9 systems, there are no kern.max%siz listed at all (% = d or s) to inspect.

thanks
Chad