Hi *,

I get stucked for several hours with configuring SSH authentication via Kerberos. I tested the same configuration on Linux and there was no problem.
I suspect pam_krb5.so.

My requisities: FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p5 Kerberos comming with base system (heimdal implementation (Heimdal 0.6.1))

in /etc/krb5.conf

[libdefaults]
                  default_realm = ATREY
[realms]
       ATREY = {
               kdc = 172.16.10.1
               kpasswd_server = 172.16.10.1
           }
[logging]
                  kdc = FILE:/var/log/kdc.log
                  kdc = SYSLOG:DEBUG
                  default = SYSLOG:DEBUG:USER

[appdefaults]
       kinit = {
               forwardable= true
       }

[kdc]
       database = {
       realm = ATREY
       }
require-preauth = no
v4-realm= ATREY
key-file = /var/heimdal/heimdal.mkey

in /etc/pam.d/sshd have:
auth            sufficient      pam_krb5.so      try_first_pass  debug
auth            required        pam_unix.so
account      required      pam_krb5.so debug
session       optional   pam_krb5.so  debug
password   sufficient      pam_krb5.so      debug

From client view :

.... debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password,keyboard-interactive debug1: Next authentication method: gssapi-with-mic debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password,keyboard-interactive debug1: Next authentication method: publickey debug1: Trying private key: /home/dvorakv/.ssh/identity debug1: Trying private key: /home/dvorakv/.ssh/id_rsa debug1: Trying private key: /home/dvorakv/.ssh/id_dsa debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive Password: pam_krb5: pam_sm_authenticate: Kerberos 5 error

pam_krb5: pam_sm_authenticate: Kerberos 5 refuses you

At server site in /var/log/auth.log there is notning to public. :-( In
/var/log/kdc.log :

What more - "debug" parameter standing after pam_krb5.so doesn`t increase
verbosity of output.

Here is my configuration method:

1.kstash Password: xxxx

2. edit /etc/krb5.conf
3. kadmin -l
kadmin> init ATREY
..
4. add principals
kadmin> add dvorakv
5. run kdc,kpasswd,kadmind
/etc/rc.d/{kerberos,kadmind,kpasswd} start
6. test if i can get a ticket kinit dvorakv
password: xxxx
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ kinit dvorakv
[EMAIL PROTECTED]'s Password: kinit: NOTICE: ticket renewable lifetime is 1 week
^^^^ everything ok, but SSH and PAM! :-(

And the last remark - this server runs in jail(8) - but there shouldn`t be a
problem.

Any ideas ? Is /etc/pam.d/sshd correct ? Is there anything what I am missing ? Is there anything special in FreeBSD besides Linux.

Thank you, Vladimir