--- Matthew Seaman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 08:50:22AM -0800, Boris
> Spirialitious wrote:
> > When opteron support start for Freebsd? I have
> 4.9.
> > is supported? Or 4.11 better? I can't use 5.x.
>
> Well, AMD64 support as a tier-1 platform only came
> in with 5.x, so
> you're S.O.L. if you have to use a 4.x release
> version.
>
> > Will a i386 disk boot on opteron system? Can I
> > use same disk image for intel and amd MBs? Any
> > big problems?
>
> You can generally run AMD64 machines in IA32 mode --
> but what would be
> the point? All you get then is a machine that costs
> more than an
> equivalent IA32 box and that probably performs
> worse.
>
>       Cheers,
>
>       Matthew

 Actually, I use a ton of Opterons in IA32 mode that
blow past the fastest pent 4's we tried. I have found
them very stable, reliable and faster than the
Pentium.
 (have not tried the Xeons) Of course they are even
faster in 64 bit mode. But sadly most programs that I
need don't work well or at all in 64 bit mode yet.

 N.