People,

        I'm almost done with the installation on my test platform.
        The reason newfs was erroring was a WRITE err; I finally
        booted single-user and fsck's /usr, then tried the
        CD sysinstall for the Nth time N >=1, <= 70  :-|
        Everything worked; from there is was a matter of getting
        files in /etc set.

        For sure,  the past few days have been a learning experience.
        Understanding how to partition the 4 slices is a major win.

        I have one question.  Now when I boot I see

        F1: ???
        F2  FreeBSD

        Can anybody tell me what to add to /boot (??) so the loader
        prints "DOS" instead of "???"  If the sysinstall scripts
        recognize NTFS, what's wrong with the loader?

        thanks for the help,

        gary

--
   Gary Kline     [EMAIL PROTECTED]   www.thought.org     Public service Unix