Thank-you for the pointer to elfctl.  Unfortunately it looks like I need
to create the section in the image file, due to my: (for example)

# elfctl -l /usr/bin/ztest
Known features are:
aslr            Disable ASLR
protmax         Disable implicit PROT_MAX
stackgap        Disable stack gap
elfctl: NT_FREEBSD_FEATURE_CTL note not found

on
FreeBSD 12.1-STABLE #0 r359973M: Thu Apr 16 amd64 1201513 1201513

I had a look inside
# readelf -SW /usr/bin/ztest

I also looked inside /usr/share/mk/bsd.prog.mk (because it has elf
hardening knobs) but no clues.  Perhaps if you could provide a pointer?

(Though I wonder how the new section will be inserted into some of the
ports that require gcc? An adventure awaits...)

Kind regards, Dewayne.
PS Yes Konstantin had previously provided substantial assistance to
resolve the ntpd issue.