> On May 31, 2021, at 16:07, Roger Marquis <marq...@roble.com> wrote:
>

>> Also, changing the root shell is bad for many reasons and I'm not
>> surprised that something doesn't work.
>
> Surprised this old myth is still being repeated.  Having used various
> root shells in FreeBSD and other Unux/Linux systems for decades I have to
> ask specifically what said reasons are, particularly considering
> /usr/sbin/sysrc starts with "#!/bin/sh" (as does and should every system
> shell script).

It’s likely due to the quoting behavior of newlines passed as the argument when
he ran the script, which varies between shell implementations. As I said, I’m
not surprised something broke because many utilities are not tested with
different shell behaviors.

I also believe if we have a reproducible test case, we should go ahead and fix
it.

Gordon