> > > Blaming the browser and other client providers (OpenSSH, etc) for a
> > > problem that is 100% because the devices are now abandoned by the
> > > manufacturer is the wrong place to focus your anger. We have an
> > > enormous problem in the industry of crappy embedded devices (like the

Obviously just my humble opinion, but FreeBSD should, for new releases,
turn the security *UP* to 11. No harm with knobs in installers, release
notes, pointing out how to turn it down to 0 again. But it's 2020 now,
and with hindsight, we see the long term cumulative effects of small
poor security choices across the industry.

If you refuse, or can't, upgrade the other infrastructure, and I totally
respect that for a host of reasons, then don't upgrade this one
either. Or stick a pi zero jump host in the middle (5$ maybe) to cater
for this case if you want new shiny secure here, and old compat there.

Where possible, we should enable easy backward compatibility. But, if
like OpenSSH (or OpenSSL) if you need stuff that simply isn't acceptable
anymore in a modern secure by default OS, then please don't drag the
rest of FreeBSD back. By all means step up and help maintain ports
that facilitate this use case! As dropbear only addded ed25519 keys
in 2020, this is probbably a very suitable candidate for that.

The argument that we will lose users "because backward compatibility"
is equally as valid as "because insecure defaults that fail audits".

Which is to say, not at all valid. The very definition of a straw man
argument.

Let's not sweep under the rug the very real effort and security risk
that we introduce in favour of eternal backwards compatibility.

If you *need* SSH 1.0, or TLS 1.1, or whatever the non-secure thing is,
just DON'T UPGRADE. Just stay on 11.x or 12.x (supported to 2024), or
worst case, install a jail or VM just for this. Or, do the work, help
maintain an ever increasing swathe of patches to re-add what has been
removed.

But we all know that this path is both painful, and introduces security
risks. I'd like less CVEs in my life.

just my 0.05c for the other positions in this thread.

A+
Dave