On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 08:18:27PM +0100, David Malone wrote:

Some experimentation produced the following results. I created an
executable and then either truncated or removed it on the NFS server
while is was running. If you catch the signal you are sent you get
a different effect (equivelent of a double fault I guess).

3.2-STABLE, as of about 3 weeks ago.
====================================
truncate                Panic (it was trying to dump a core for the process).
remove                  vm_pager error and sigfault.
catch sig + remove      vm_pager error loop - may be killed by kill -9.

4.0-CURRENT, also about 3 weeks ago.
truncate                process stuck in vompar while handling the pagefault.
remove                  vm_pager error and sigfault.
catch sig + remove      vm_pager error loop - process can't be killed.

I tried quickly on a Redhat 6 box, catching the signal and changeing the
execuatble results in the process spinning and also being unkillable.

I still haven't managed to get init stuck in vmopar - it isn't entirely
clear to me why it would be interested in the processes text at all.

        David.