Config that works well for me, is slapping an entire /24 on the ethernet
interface, then sticking a static route on my router:

        ip route 192.168.20.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.10

Sources outside the LAN are properly routed to the right place, and hosts on
the LAN are ICMP redirected to the right place.  Easy stuff maynard.  It
gets even easier if you run gated and let ospf do the talking for you.

The routing problems mentioned by Forrest only appeared for me when I tried
to use the loopback interface.  Perhaps I'd done something terribly wrong to
make it not work.

Just for kicks, when I had the spare IP addresses availiable, I did have an
entire /22 aliased to the ethernet port.  It worked perfectly.

YMMV,

Troy