On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Jose M. Alcaide wrote:
> Personally, I decided to boycott the i810 chipset. I am absolutely
> opposed to chipsets including graphics and audio controllers. And IMHO
> now Intel Corp. attacks the makers of graphics and audio cards,
> imposing [even] more restrictions on our freedom of choice in the
> PC market. Rats.

While you might happily boycott these chipsets because of some moral
standpoint, unfortunately some of the newer combined motherboards are so cheap
we can expect to see them in a lot of low end PC's shortly, if not already.

There's one board I've seen , that has a 56k modem, 3d (4channel) sound, agp
video (8mb ram) and 100mbs network all onboard. (granted it's not i810) It
costs about the same as most other boards with none of these features. I think
the board I'm thinking of is made by "chips and technologies" but I could be
wrong there.

So, although many of us here might agree with your sentiment, standing up
to it is analagous to trying to blow a hurricane back from where it came. If
the technology goes this way it might be best to have support for it in
FreeBSD. And although we might not like the way it's going should I still be
poor student trying to learn unix again, that would probably be the board I'd
have to buy, and it would be nice to think I could expect it to work with my OS
choice.

        Steve