----- Original Message -----
From: "Archie Cobbs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2000 2:57 PM
Subject: Help: interrupt timeout

> My laptop running 3.4-RELEASE decided it doesn't want to
boot.
> It was uncleanly shut down via the power switch by someone
> who thought they were shutting down a different machine.
>
> Now when it boots, running fsck gives this result:

[snip]
> > # fsck /
> > *** /dev/rwd0s3a
> > *** Last Mounted on /
> > *** Root file system
> > *** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
> > wd0: interrupt timeout (status 58<rdy,seekdone> error 0)
> > wd0: wdtimeout DMA status 4
> > wd0: interrupt timeout (status 50<rdy,seekdone> error
1<no_dam>)
> > wd0: wdtimeout DMA status 4
> > wd0: interrupt timeout (status 50<rdy,seekdone> error
1<no_dam>)
> > wd0: wdtimeout DMA status 4
> > wd0: interrupt timeout (status 50<rdy,seekdone> error
1<no_dam>)
> > wd0: wdtimeout DMA status 4
> > wd0: interrupt timeout (status 50<rdy,seekdone> error
1<no_dam>)
> > wd0: wdtimeout DMA status 4
> > wd0: Last time I say: interrupt timeout.  Probably a
portable PC. (status 50<rdy,seekdone> error 1<no_dam>)

[snip]

I'd try disabling the DMA - it *should* be accessible within
the BIOS under IDE UDMA enable/disable, depending upon the
m/board maunfacturer - it certainly is on my Inspiron 7500,
but with Compaq's.... good luck!

Regards
--
A Johns